Monday, February 10, 2014

Azizah Al Yousef, Saudi Female Driving Activist, named Number One Most Powerful Arab

Aziza Al Yousef, an activist working to end the female driving ban in Saudi Arabia, has been named to the top of the list of Gulf Business Magazine's list of the World's 100 Most Powerful Arabs in their February 2014 issue. Here is what they wrote about her. The magazine is available on newsstands in the Gulf region.

Al-Yousef is a well-known advocate of the struggle to end the ban on women driving in Saudi Arabia. The computer science university lecturer has driven numerous times and was arrested for doing so in November 2013. Her next step is to try to reach ruler King Abdullah with a letter featuring thousands of signatures in support of ending the ban.

Congratulations to Ms. Al Yousef.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I am a History student at the University of Sheffield studying Middle Eastern History. I am currently writing my thesis on the use of social media (blogs, facebook, twitter) by women in Saudi Arabia and particularly the way in which it has impacted the movement for women's rights.

    As a British, non-Arabic speaking woman I am very aware that my access to resources on this topic is fairly limited, so I am trying to incorporate the perspective of Saudi women or women with experience of living in Saudi Arabia in my thesis as much as possible.

    In this light would it be possible at some point to arrange a skype or email conversation? I am aware this is a pretty enormous request, but as I said it's very important to me to include Saudi women's perspective in their own words, so I have to ask! I couldn't find an email address anywhere on the blog, otherwise I would have emailed you directly. My email address is agraham1@shef.ac.uk if you'd like to respond privately.

    Kind regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very impressed with you.And i am really appreciate your effort.
    I am glad to see that your web site share valued info that can assist to several readers.
    Saudi Arabia Jobs

    ReplyDelete